#CountdownToCOP will show you how you can take steps in your life to make a big difference to our planet. Join us over the next 16 weeks as we encourage St Albans District to make the changes that matter and protect what you love.
It’s easy to join in with #CountdownToCOP. Visit the St Albans District Count Us In page. Simply visit the page, explore the 16 steps and pledge to take one step by choosing “Take a Step”. When you register, tick that you are part of the “St Albans Climate Network” to have your step counted on the St Albans page.
In November this year (2021), the UK will host COP26, the international conference where countries will agree the next steps on tackling climate change. Sustainable St Albans is linking with environmental groups and volunteers across the district to encourage ordinary residents like YOU to take your own steps too. It’s called #CountdownToCOP.
In the build up to the COP26 conference, we are encouraging people across St Albans, Harpenden and the villages to take your own steps to reduce your carbon pollution using the Count Us In framework. These 16 steps have been selected based on what is most effective at reducing your personal carbon pollution, their power to influence leaders and their ability to involve everyone.
Wearing clothes that will last or speaking up at work are just two of the 16 most effective things you can do to reduce carbon pollution and encourage others to do the same. These are both Count Us In steps. From now till November, in the #CountdownToCOP, we will feature one of these steps each week. We will share resources to help you take each step, and inspiration from others who have. Watch out for our blogs and social media posts with more information each week.
Join in with #CountdownToCOP today
It’s easy to join in with #CountdownToCOP. Environmental groups of St Albans District have come together to set up the St Albans Climate Action Network who are hosting their own special St Albans District Count Us In page. Simply visit the page, explore the 16 steps and pledge to take one step by choosing “Take a Step”. When you register, tick that you are part of the “St Albans Climate Network” to have your step counted on the St Albans page.
You can choose whether to appear on the St Albans District Count Us In page with your full name, your first name or anonymously.
You can track the carbon impact of your own actions. As more people join, we will all see our cumulative efforts across St Albans, Harpenden and the villages.
Which of the 16 highest impact steps will you commit to do?
Choose something you know is realistic, that you can do in the next few weeks:
- Cut food waste – Reduce the amount of food that is wasted or thrown away in your home.
- Eat more plants – Reduce the amount of meat in your weekly diet.
- Eat seasonal – Eat food produced at its natural time of the year.
- Fly less – Reduce your plane travel to dramatically cut your carbon pollution.
- Walk and cycle more – Travel by bike or foot wherever you can.
- Drive Electric – Make your next car purchase an electric vehicle.
- Insulate Your Home – Install or enhance the loft insulation in your home.
- Switch your energy – Move your home to a green energy supplier.
- Get some solar – Install solar panels to generate energy for your home.
- Dial it down – Turn down the heating in your home by a degree or more.
- Wear Clothes to last – Buy fewer new clothes and wear them for longer.
- Green your money – Choose financial institutions and funds that invest responsibly.
- Repair and reuse – Repair your belongings rather than buying new.
- Tell your politicians – Ask politicians to act or invest in infrastructure to support a step.
- Speak up at work – Come together with colleagues to make change at a bigger scale.
- Talk to friends – Start a conversation about Count Us In and encourage others to take a step.
Sustainable St Albans will help you take your first step
- The Count Us In website gives you more detail about each of the steps.
- Resources on the Sustainable St Albans website will help you set started and find information relevant to our local area.
- Blogs will give you real insight into how other people are joining in with #CountdownToCOP
- Social media posts throughout the 16 weeks will inspire you:
Facebook @SustainableStAlbans, Twitter @SustainableStA, Instagram @SustainableStA
The mission of Count Us In is to inspire one billion citizens to take a step. Which step will you take? Explore the St Albans District Count Us In page now and take part in the #CountdownToCOP.