When St Albans District Council declared a climate emergency in 2019 they set a target for the district to reach net zero as 2030. The Sustainability and Climate Action Plan needs the community to make a significant reduction in C02 to reach this target. Based on data currently available this amounts to an average of 50,000 tonnes per year until 2030.
With such large numbers and sometimes incomprehensible targets the climate emergency requires action from everyone on all different levels. One of Sustainable St Albans’ many actions is to recruit volunteers to help inform and inspire local people and community organisations, encouraging them to get involved in the effort to reach net zero.
We’re seeking people from across St Albans, Harpenden and the villages who have an interest in environmental issues and some existing knowledge who are good listeners and enjoy talking to people. If this describes you, join our community engagement programme by becoming:
What you will be doing:
- Help set up and organise stalls at markets and at community events (some manual handling possible: training will be provided) .
- Have positive conversations with members of the public about practical changes they can make to their lifestyles which will make a difference.
Time commitment: Once a month at weekends: Volunteer for a few hours or the whole day. We would like you to commit to a minimum of 6 stalls events.
What you will be doing:
- Speak about climate action at a minimum of 5 events during one year. Events could include visiting a community group, business and public services. We aim to match your interests and experience to the audience you will be talking to.
- Help at a minimum of 2 Sustainable St Albans market stalls a year where you will talk to members of the public about action they can take on climate change.
- Attend a regular monthly team planning meeting which could last up to 1 hour (via zoom and sometimes in person).
- Support the team in arranging or hosting events which will inspire and help people take action.
Time commitment: We would like you to commit to a minimum of talking at 5 events and 2 markets a year which we estimate would take 50 hours in one year.
We have a variety of other ways you can volunteer and get involved in our projects and year round activities which all help people across the district live more sustainable lives.
If you would like to talk to someone about our community engagement volunteering roles contact Community Engagement Officer on email@example.com to arrange a phone or video call.