- Have a Walk to Church/Mosque/Synagogue day during the week
- Can you make your faith building more energy efficient? Save money and raise awareness about sustainability? Start a discussion group!
- Churches could have a sermon about sustainability (http://www.interfaithpowerandlight.org/clergy-corner/sample-sermons/) followed by a discussion session about what parishioners can do
- See Living Lightly – fully updated August 2014 – grants from St Albans Diocese Green Grant scheme.
- having a volunteer gardening day make your churchyard more bee friendly.
- Mosques could look at the The Green Up! Toolkit and Award Scheme. This supports your mosque or group to make a commitment to work towards becoming more environmentally friendly.
- between now and November, work towards an ‘Eco Congregation’ award and feedback your progress to the whole faithcommunity during Sustainable St Albans week
- :Set up water butts in the garden of your building and have a grand opening during Sustainable St Albans week
- Check the lighting in your building and replace with LED versions any lights which are high voltage.
- Run an evening with a speaker who supports environmental Sustainability and invite local residents and members of other Faith groups
- Set up a composting system in your garden area
- Run a tour of your building to highlight the sustainable elements.
- Prepare a wildlife area in your garden area and ask Friends of the Earth or similar to advise on planting plan –have a celebratory planting of a few perennials during SSA week
- Run some Sustainable cookery demonstrations using fresh local produce during Sustainable St Albans Week.
- Initiate a Transition Streets group amongst your members and run the first session during Sustainable St Albans Week (St Pauls Church have done this if you want more information)
- Set up a tool/equipment sharing system amongst your members –celebrate during SSA week.
The Green Up! Award Scheme –Supports your mosque or group to make a commitment to work towards becoming more environmentally friendly. Green Up! is the UK’s first eco-award scheme for mosques and Islamic groups which has been supported by a host of prominent community leaders
Links to Christian organisations and development agencies – involved in environment and climate change issues, plus web pages and information provided by the churches
See Living Lightly – fully updated August 2014 – grants from St Albans Diocese Green Grant scheme.