Supporting and encouraging our wildlife is vital for our interconnected eco-systems to thrive and provide a healthy planet for us all to inhabit. Now more than ever, we can act to make a difference to our wildlife at a time of habitat loss and pesticide use that threatens biodiversity.
Here are just a few resources to get you started on encouraging the wildlife and increasing biodiversity in our gardens, parks, woodlands and local spaces.
- Pesticide use and bioaccumulation in food production, BBC Bitesize
- The impacts of pesticides on the environment, Pesticide Action Network UK
- Why choose organic? The Soil Association
- Five British animals you didn’t know were endangered, BBC Bitesize
- Gardening for wildlife, RSPB
- Go wild in your garden! The Wildlife Trust
- What is permaculture?, The Permaculture Association UK
- Build homes for insects, RSPB
- Rewilding makeover tips from Rewild My Street
- Take action for insects, The Wildlife Trust
- Rewild Yourself, Simon Barnes
- Ferral, George Monbiot
- Wilding – the return of nature to a British farm, Isabella Tree
Organisations & projects to support
- Wilderhood Watch – working together to create an eco-friendly neighbourhood in St Albans
- Wilder St Albans – Herts Middlesex Wildlife Trust project with St Albans City & District Council and St Albans Environmental Action Group to increase the habitats across St Albans and the wildlife they support by coordinating a programme of practical action by the community.
- Hornbeam Wood Hedgehog Sanctuary – a family run charity that looks after wild hedgehogs. Based in Harpenden, Hertfordshire.
- London Colney Hedgehog Rescue – Rehabilitation for sick/injured and orphaned hedgehogs in London Colney, Herts & surrounding areas.
- Ver Valley Society – Protecting and promoting the River Ver and its wildlife
- RSPB St Albans – Local branch of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
- Hertfordshire Wildlife Trust – protecting wildlife in Hertfordshire and Middlesex
- The Wildlife Trust’s #30dayswild challenge – the UK’s biggest nature challenge
- The Woodland Trust – planting, protecting, restoring native woods and trees in the UK
- Trees for Life – rewilding the Scottish Highlands
- The British Hedgehog Preservation Society – offers help and advice to sick, injured or orphaned hedgehogs
- Rewilding Britain – working to make rewilding a reality in Britain
- Help Wildlife UK – providing support to help you help them